Job title: Professor/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor in Department of English
Company: Khalifa University
Job description: Job Description
(Open Rank Faculty -English) -(Department of English)
Open Rank Faculty – English
In 2017, UAE President and Ruler of Abu Dhabi, His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, issued a decree to merge the Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research, the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, and The Petroleum Institute under one university called the Khalifa University of Science and Technology (Khalifa University).
Khalifa University is now a comprehensive research-intensive university with three colleges, three research institutes, 20 research centers, and 36 departments covering a broad range of disciplines in science, engineering, and medicine. The internationally top-ranked university is the one university in the UAE with the research and academic programs that address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing the UAE’s knowledge economy transformation and our rapidly evolving world.
Khalifa University’s world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. The university brings together the best in science, engineering and medicine in the UAE, to offer specialized degrees that can take promising high school graduates all the way to top-rated doctorate degree holders.
It will continue to evolve with the UAE’s rapidly developing national goals and needs and nurture the innovation ecosystem required for the country’s targeted knowledge economy transformation.
College of Arts and Sciences
The College is distinguishing itself as a major contributor towards economic diversification within Abu Dhabi and the region, particularly through its close alignment with growing regional sectors in key industries such as Energy, Aerospace, Financial Services, Healthcare, Transportation and Telecommunications.
The College of Arts and Sciences is a vibrant community of academic scholars, students and staff who are dedicated to science education and innovation for the ultimate benefit of society. To serve this purpose, the College empowers students with a great sense of purposeful academic curiosity and appreciation of the social and environmental context within a rapidly changing world.
About the Department
The Department of English is a diverse community of scholars in English language-related studies, including literature, linguistics, writing, digital composition, TESOL, and education. In addition to offering core and elective courses, the Department has recently launched a new Minor in Digital Media and Composition.
Faculty currently teach courses in the undergraduate English program as well as a wide range of electives courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Current research includes work in literary studies, second language acquisition, linguistics, writing and English education. Faculty regularly present at major international conferences worldwide and publish with major university presses and in a wide range of top-tier research journals.
Detailed information can be found at:
Department of English | Khalifa University | Abu Dhabi, UAE (ku.ac.ae)
- This is an open-rank position at the professorial (assistant, associate, or full) level. Candidates must have a doctoral degree in a literacy-related field with specialization in one or more of the following areas: technical writing or communication, professional writing, multimodal composition, or media studies. Interest or experience in digital media production, web design, data visualization, science communication, or STEM education, is preferred, but not required.
- The successful candidate will have strong research potential, demonstrated by relevant publications in high-impact journals, as well as college-level teaching experience in their area of expertise.
- Preference will be given to candidates with education from and/or previous service in preeminent institutions of higher education.
- A Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate in English related discipline from an accredited institution is required.
- Assistant Professor – Minimum of 3 years experience relevant to the position and proven research potential.
- Associate Professor -Minimum of 8 years teaching experience or postgraduate research experience, out of which at least 5 years should be at the level of Assistant Professor.
- Professor -Minimum of 10 years teaching and postgraduate research experience, out of which at least 5 years should be at the level of Associate Professor and have demonstrated high standards in teaching, advising, and research.
- Preference will be given to candidates with education from and/or previous service in pre-eminent institutions of higher education.
The successful candidate is expected to teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels, establish and maintain an active research program that leads to peer-reviewed publications in high-impact professional journals, and provide service to the department, the university, and the profession.
The successful candidate will also help develop the Department’s Minor in Digital Media and Composition.
Applicant should indicate which positions they are applying in their covering letter. Successful applicants should be available to take up the posts in August 2022. The deadline for applications is 31 May 2022. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. A complete application includes curriculum vitae, teaching and research statement, cover letter, photo and the names and contact information of three references.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team ( ).
Primary Location: KUK – Khalifa University
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Abu Dhabi
Job date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 01:02:05 GMT
Apply for the job now!