Job title: Professor/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor in Earth Science
Company: Khalifa University
Job description: Job Description
(Open Rank Faculty) -(Earth Science)
Open Rank Faculty – Earth Science
In 2017, UAE President and Ruler of Abu Dhabi, His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, issued a decree to merge the Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research, the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, and The Petroleum Institute under one university called the Khalifa University of Science and Technology (Khalifa University).
Khalifa University is now a comprehensive research-intensive university with three colleges, three research institutes, 20 research centers, and 36 departments covering a broad range of disciplines in science, engineering, and medicine. The internationally top-ranked university is the one university in the UAE with the research and academic programs that address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing the UAE’s knowledge economy transformation and our rapidly evolving world.
Khalifa University’s world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. The university brings together the best in science, engineering and medicine in the UAE, to offer specialized degrees that can take promising high school graduates all the way to top-rated doctorate degree holders.
It will continue to evolve with the UAE’s rapidly developing national goals and needs and nurture the innovation ecosystem required for the country’s targeted knowledge economy transformation.
College of Arts and Sciences
The College is distinguishing itself as a major contributor towards economic diversification within Abu Dhabi and the region, particularly through its close alignment with growing regional sectors in key industries such as Energy, Aerospace, Financial Services, Healthcare, Transportation and Telecommunications.
The College of Arts and Sciences is a vibrant community of academic scholars, students and staff who are dedicated to science education and innovation for the ultimate benefit of society. To serve this purpose, the College empowers students with a great sense of purposeful academic curiosity and appreciation of the social and environmental context within a rapidly changing world.
The Department of Earth Sciences is an academic unit within the College of Arts and Sciences at Khalifa University. The department is an internationally recognized center of excellence in education and research in petroleum geology and geophysics, and other disciplines in geosciences. The department offers BSc in Petroleum Geosciences, BSc in Earth and Planetary Sciences, and MSc in Earth Sciences Petroleum Geosciences and PhD degree in Earth Sciences. For more information about the department, see the link below.
The department invites applications for faculty positions in the following discipline:
Geomorphology and Remote sensing (Reference code: ES_GMORPH_21)
Description of subject area of the employment: The successful candidate will join the Department of Earth Sciences, which includes research in Geophysics, Paleontology, Petrology, Planetary Geology, Sedimentology, and Structural Geology. The research in Geomorphology and Remote sensing will be focused on landscape dynamics with a focus on the UAE. We are particularly encouraging applicants with solid background in remote sensing and geomorphology with expertise in data collection and observations in the field, documented skills in remote sensing and GIS techniques. Expertise in planetary remote sensing is an advantage.
- The position is open for Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Full Professor ranks.
- Assistant Professor – Minimum of 3 years experience relevant to the position and proven research potential.
- Associate Professor -Minimum of 8 years teaching experience or postgraduate research experience, out of which at least 5 years should be at the level of Assistant Professor.
- Professor -Minimum of 10 years teaching and postgraduate research experience, out of which at least 5 years should be at the level of Associate Professor and have demonstrated high standards in teaching, advising, and research.
Qualifications and experience:
- • PhD in Geomorphology/Remote sensing or related discipline or have the corresponding research competence, or some other related professional expertise. Expertise in planetary applications is an advantage.
- • Research expertise and teaching expertise. International reputation demonstrated by a significant publication record in the relevant field is required. At least 2 years of teaching experience in a university environment, including supervision of graduate and PhD students. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Preference will be given to candidates with education from and/or previous service in pre-eminent institutions of higher education.
- Teaching, research and administration. Research duties include engagement in research activities within the field of geomorphology and remote sensing in general with applications to UAE in particular, disseminating research in international journals, and collaboration across disciplines.
- Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students. Applicants must have documented teaching experience and should be able to teach courses in geomorphology, and related topics such as Geoinformatics (GIS and remote sensing) at the postgraduate and undergraduate educational programs in the new Earth & Planetary Sciences degree in the department as well as contribute to both undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum development. Administration duties include membership in committees in the department and the college.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the university.
- Actively applying for external research funding.
- Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
- The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise. In addition to academic merits, research merits from other activities, including technology development, may also be taken into account including research merits obtained outside the academy, which includes for example technology development, innovation ability and experience in industry. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing research expertise special weight will be attached to research merits in spatial analysis, assimilation of empirical data and modelling of the physical processes in landscape dynamics.
Applicants should submit a complete application package in a single pdf file includes curriculum vitae, teaching and research statement, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three references. Applicant should indicate which positions they are applying in their covering letter. Please state the above reported reference code(s) in the email subject. Successful applicants should be available to take up the posts in Early Spring 2022. The deadline for applications is December 25, 2021. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.
Primary Location: KUK – Khalifa University
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Abu Dhabi
Job date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 03:25:26 GMT
Apply for the job now!