Job title: Senior Data Scientist
Job description: Senior Data Scientist
Careem is the everyday Super App for the greater Middle East region, providing a host of daily services that people need to move around, order food, deliver things and transfer money in one unified smartphone app. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organization that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem provides its services in over 100 cities across 13 countries and has created two million income-generating opportunities in the region. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020.
Our engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for talented engineers to help us in our mission to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires.
Why join our journey
When you start your journey at Careem, you’ll be empowered to drive impact across a region of 600 million people, supported by our community of colleagues from over 75 nationalities. Whether you’re creating codes for our Super App or finding new ways to bring our platform to the people in your city.
Join us as we solve some of the most difficult problems that our region faces at scale while driving stellar experiences for our Customers, Captains (drivers) and Merchants. You will have the chance to work on cutting edge technology and with a diverse set of individuals across many geographies. You will also have the opportunity to learn and grow every day to develop alongside talented and inspiring people from around the world. As a colleague at Careem, you’ll be empowered to take ownership of your work, be of service to our Captains, customers and partners as we build the region’s Super App, all while shooting for the moon to create impact across the region.
About the team
The Careem Data Science team’s mission is to drive competitive value from data at scale through building AI models to optimize user experiences, decision making, operational efficiencies, and lead the region’s AI ecosystem. As one of the leaders in this team, you will be at the forefront of fulfilling this mission. You will be working with and leading the top data science talent of the region, leveraging AI to solve the region’s day to day problems, through state-of-the art machine learning, optimization, deep learning, and NLP models, that are deployed on top of our own in-house AI platform, serving users in real-time.
What you’ll do
- Build a long-term vision on how we can rethink our customer acquisition and engagement strategies leveraging data in our decision making.
- Drive exploratory analysis to understand the ecosystem, user behavior; identifying new levers to help move metrics and build models of user behaviors for analysis and product enhancements.
- Shape and influence data/ML models and instrumentation to optimize the product experience and generate insights on new areas of opportunity and new products.
- Provide product leadership by sharing data-based recommendation to communicate state of business, root cause of change in metrics and experimentation results influencing product and business decision
- Implement scalable machine learning algorithms that will be used in production on big data.
- Embark on exploratory data analysis projects to achieve better understanding of phenomena as well as to discover untapped areas of growth and optimization.
- Answer complex analytic questions from big data sets to help Careem shape its products and services in a better way.
- Help define and track the appropriate key metrics for specific projects.
- Design and run randomized controlled experiments, analyze the resulting data and communicate results with other teams.
- You will always challenge the status quo and continually investigate new data processing technologies and seek to ensure that we follow the industry best practices.
What you’ll need
- 6+ years experience in data mining, predictive modeling, time series analysis, machine learning, Big Data methodologies, transformation and cleaning of both structured and unstructured data.
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline such as Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or Computer Science.
- Strong problem solving and coding skills.
- Strong experience in leading cross-functional teams and projects from a technical and data science perspective.
- Solid knowledge of and experience with the payment channels, pay terms, banking and payments services, and the payments regulatory landscape, preferably in MENA region
- Solid understanding of digital wallet use cases and potential risks associated with them
- Fluency in English along with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency and demonstrated experience in at least 2 of the following: Python, R, SQL, Spark, Hive.
- Demonstrated experience with database technologies (e.g. Hadoop, BigQuery, Amazon EMR, Hive, Oracle, SAP, DB2, Teradata, MS SQL Server, MySQL) is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with business intelligence and visualization tools (Tableau, MicroStrategy, ChartIO, Qlik) along with geospatial data processing skills is also a plus.
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies.
Where you’ll be
- This role is part of a remote distributed team! This means you can be based in any of the countries where we currently have an engineering site. If you would like to join us in Dubai, Berlin, Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Pakistan, Egypt, Lebanon or Jordan, that’s fine with us (Visa permitting)!
- Even though we are working remotely, we are strong believers in collaboration and the power of building social connections with our teams. For that reason, our offices are still open and provide plenty of collaboration-friendly spaces at times when teams need it or if you need a quiet space to work outside of home.
- You’ll be working in the location you’re hired from. Due to legal and compensation considerations, you will need to be based out of the country you’re hired from as your primary work location.
What we’ll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this.
As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organisation
- Work from any country in the world for 60 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
Job date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 04:11:44 GMT
Apply for the job now!