Job title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Job description: What if we showed you how we’re solving the world’s greatest challenges by transforming intangible ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world?
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomises the “why” of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we’re integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
JACOBS is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors.
Our Utilities division is involved with an unusually diverse range of projects that include hi-tech, industrial, research, aviation, rail, education, infrastructure, and defence across the region. The group works closely with a range of in-house services to bring a unique blend of technical excellence and truly single source capability to clients.
Our integrated design teams are shifting the emphasis of building design for our clients from a single discipline mind-set to one of fully integrated thinking; working enthusiastically and seamlessly across disciplines using BIM and other tools to deliver high value sustainable solutions.
We are looking for Senior Mechanical Engineers who appreciate the benefits of multidisciplinary working and want to be part of an integrated design process. We are looking for Engineers who are willing to embrace the complete building design process and step outside the constraints of their own discipline to learn new skills and contribute holistically to the development of designs that exceed client expectations.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer in the integrated design team, you will be able to undertake design and specification of the range of mechanical infrastructure plants, including potable water pumping stations, firefighting pumping stations, stormwater pumping stations, sewage pumping stations, irrigation pumping stations, and water and wastewater treatment plants.
You should demonstrate a flexible approach to design and team working and will be involved with projects both local to the base office and other teams across the region.
You will take ownership of the delivery of the mechanical plant work packages. You will be responsible for leading mechanical plant design disciplines including architectural, electrical, structural, and ICA, in addition to the mechanical design.
You will carry out basic design management and design lead roles related to mechanical plant design, including scheduling of designs tasks, assigning responsibilities to junior engineers, level of effort estimates and quality control and checks.
You will have an understanding of other disciplines design concepts that are involved in mechanical plant design, including structural, electrical, architectural and ICA.
Designing services within the integrated design team will involve the use of technical engineering software and proactive involvement with BIM models for projects. The engineer will be able to proactively collaborate with other members of the team and, working within defined project time and cost constraints, deliver innovative and sustainable best value solutions that exceed client requirements. The engineer will exercise technical and commercial judgement in delivering design work and ensure that Jacobs QA and Value Enhancing Practices are met throughout the design and construction phases. Specific responsibilities include:
- Design of pumping stations and water/wastewater treatment plants including pumps. tanks, pipework, valves and all related auxiliary systems such as conveyance, disinfection and mechanical building services
- Contribute to design projects across offices and internationally where required
- Application of industry design standards
- Liaising with clients, design managers, project managers and technical disciplines leads
- Preparation of reports, drawings and specifications
- Produce material requisitions, RFQs
- Carry out technical bid evaluations, SAT, FAT and site inspection
- Review material submittals
- Manage other engineers and designers and helping to mentor graduate engineers
- Monitoring and reporting progress against time and budget
- Compliance with design and QA procedures
- Monitoring of installation works on site and observance of technical compliance and H&S matters
- Have a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from a recognized university
- Have 10-15 years design experience, of which minimum 10 years design experience in the GCC
- Be chartered from a recognized institute, or be a member who’s working on becoming chartered
- Demonstrate good understanding for design work flow using BIM, particularly Revit.
- Demonstrate good understanding of multi-disciplinary design requirements that affect and interact with the mechanical plant, including electrical, civil, and architectural
- Demonstrate experience in material selections for different flow medium
- Demonstrate understanding of mechanical plant operation and maintenance aspects
- Demonstrate basic understanding of mechanical building services related to mechanical plant design including HVAC, public health, and fire protection
- Demonstrate understating of mechanical plant site planning including plot area estimate, access, and drainage
- Be able to demonstrable experience of delivering a range of projects from concept through completion
- Demonstrate involve in site activities including SAT, FAT and inspection,
- Be a competent user of Microsoft Office software including Word and Excel
- Be a competent user of discipline specific technical software
- Good understanding of UAE public water/wastewater authorities regulations and their standards and preferences
- Be familiar with the public water/wastewater authorities in Qatar and KSA
- Have basic understanding of water hammer, piping flexibility requirements
- Have ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients, architects and other design team members and the Ability to represent Jacobs at external meetings and at presentations.
- Have appreciation of capital and whole life cost
- Be aware of current techniques and technologies as applied to own discipline and wider industry
The following will be considered advantageous
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering
- Master’s degree in engineering management or similar
- Previous people management experience
- Experience in hydraulic design software
- Ability to perform surge analysis using software
- Ability to carry out piping stress analysis using software
- Experience in desalination plant design
- Experience in district cooling plant design
Jacobs. A world where you can.
From our inclusive employee networks, to our positive mental health champions – we’re committed to driving a culture of caring where you can be you. Joining Jacobs not only connects you locally but globally – and together, our diverse perspectives and unique backgrounds power our collective strength. We collaborate and share! By supporting one another, we all succeed.
With safety and flexibility always top of mind, we’ve gone beyond traditional ways of working so you have the support, means and space to maximise your potential. You’ll uncover flexible working arrangements, benefits and opportunities to do good too – from participating in our global giving and volunteering program, to exploring new and inventive ways to help our clients make the world a better place. No matter what drives you, you’ll discover how you can cultivate, nurture and achieve your goals – all at a single global company.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Job date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 23:33:36 GMT
Apply for the job now!